Saturday, April 16, 2016
Wednesday, April 6, 2016
I've been doing the THM lifestyle for about 2 years now. THM is Trim Healthy Mama. This, however, is my first THM-ified recipe. I can't give all the details of the recipe because it's based on a recipe from the THM cookbook. However, I can tell you that I created the rest myself. I LOVE jello salad! It's basically jello and cool whip which equals a ton of sugar. And since I've been off sugar for 2 years and have really bad detox symptoms when I eat it I shy away from a lot of southern favorites.
So when I tried out the recipe for Lemon Pucker Gummies from the new cookbook (pg. 397) and discovered the consistency was like jello I had a total clarity moment.
In recent post on Facebook groups someone suggested replacing the 2 cups of liquid in the recipe with an equal amount of Bai5. So I did that and let the "gummies" gel up. After that, I got out my immersion blender and blended about a cup of heavy whipping cream and 2 packs of truvia into whipped cream. Then using a fork and knife chopped the jello up. Added the whipped cream to the jello and mixed it until it looked like pink floof. Actually it came out more purple.
The gummies on their own are a fuel pull but adding the whipped cream makes this yummy dessert an S.
Saturday, March 19, 2016
- Playing the Part by Jen Turano
- A Bride for Keeps by Melissa Jaegers
- A Bride in Store by Melissa Jaegers
- A Lady’s Honor by Laurie Alice Eakes
- Heart’s Safe Passage by Laurie Alice Eakes
- Who Switched off My Brain? By Dr. Caroline Leaf - (Doing some research for homeschool)
If you’ve gotten this far, I’d love to follow you on Goodreads. Here’s my profile: https://www.goodreads.com/etandksmom
Thursday, February 25, 2016
HelpTeaching.com makes some areas of homeschooling much easier. I know for our family testing isn’t always the priority but sometimes it really helps to reassure where your kids are academically. Many times I find that I’d like to have the kids dig a little deeper in a subject. And HelpTeaching.com provides lots of ready made resources like worksheets, online tests and also lessons.
- How to Administer Tests Online
- How to Find Questions
- How to Customize Your Tests
- How To Use Questions with Images
- Using Question Groups
- How to Design a Good Test
- How to Write Good Test Questions
- Use Test Maker™ to create unlimited custom tests and worksheets
- Up to 100 questions in your custom tests and worksheets
- You get to use questions with images
- Save your own tests as PDFs
- Use Test Room™ to administer unlimited online tests & lessons
- Pre-made premium content(Common Core ELA and Math)
- Browse and search CCSS-aligned questions by standard
- It’s only $24.95 for the whole year!
Click here to see what other Schoolhouse Review Crew members had to say about HelpTeaching.com and the Pro Plan!
Wednesday, February 17, 2016
Review of Home School in the Woods HISTORY Through the Ages Hands-on History Lap-Pak: U.S. Elections
- Definition of Election
- Different forms of Government
- The American Experiment
- The Three Branches of Government
- Who Do We Vote For?
- Terms of Office
- A "Handful" of Political Parties
- Caucuses and Primaries
- National Conventions
- The Presidential Campaign: Platform
- The Presidential Campaign: Stump Speaking
- The Presidential Campaign: Media — News Source
- The Presidential Campaign: Campaign Advertising — Spreading the Word!
- Raising Money
- Election Day
- The Electoral College
- Inauguration Day
- The Electoral Race!
- The "Vocabinet"
As a supplement to the lapbook, we also got some books from the library. Here's a couple of the ones we found. Monster Needs Your Vote by Paul Czajak and Vote from Eyewitness Books.
Monday, February 15, 2016
- I am not great at typing with one hand.
- I can't drive well with one hand.
- One word...bra...'nough said. Seriously, try it one handed.
- Showers with one arm wrapped in a trash bag? Not easy.
- I can't straighten my arm...even when sleeping.
- I can't open ziploc bags unless they have actual zippers.
- I haven't tied my shoes in almost a month. I just step in and deal.
- Toothpaste...try it.
- Putting hair up in a ponytail/clip one-handed...not happening.
- I don't bother unbuttoning or unzipping pants anymore. I've become the master of quick changes.
- It could have been so much worse.
- Where I fell was between two hard wooden beds.
- My head missed the second bed by inches.
- My back and spine missed a large wooden dresser by inches.
- When I fell, I was holding a handful of nails.
- I was in the company of a friend who saw me fall and was there to help.
- I didn't twist my ankle stepping on my shoe.
- I have a amazing husband who came to be with me at the ER.
- I'm right handed!
- My family is amazing! They've been really helpful and patient with me.
Wednesday, January 20, 2016
Sunday, January 17, 2016
Here's the before photo. It's seen better days. I don't usually think about this thing. I just clean out the stoneware part and go about my business.
Then you will take your toothbrush and dip it in the paste and scrub the inside of the crockpot base. You can re-dip as needed. The baking soda acts as an abrasive to help loosen the caked on grime. Just keep scrubbing and dipping until you get it all loosened. It only took about 2-3 minutes.
- Place chicken in the crockpot.
- Pour barbecue sauce over the chicken. Save a little sauce if you want to use as a condiment later.
- Cook on High for 3-4 hours or Low for around 5-6 hours.
- Shred the chicken and serve.
Thursday, January 7, 2016
- Doctrine (The Bible, the Trinity, Creation, Sin, Salvation, Worship, the Church)
- Why We Trust the Bible
- Redeeming Darwin: The Intelligent Design Controversy
- The Bible: Why Does It Endure?
I think I would consider this particular curriculum for use in homeschool, as well as, in a homeschool co-op setting. It includes questions to print out and essay questions to complete as well. We printed out the questions for the first series and did those while watching the video. The boys said they appreciated the high quality of the video. And they brought up some interesting points afterwards about the cave which is the suspected site of Jesus’ birth. You know it’s good when your teens who don’t want to talk start telling you what they learned. This curriculum comes highly recommended!
Also, with your Yearly Membership you get access to over 10,000 streaming videos through the Media Library provided by RightNow Media! Titles include VeggieTales, What's In the Bible, John MacArthur, Dave Ramsey, John Maxwell and lots of others. There's literally something for your whole family to watch.
Something else I found to be really interesting and worth digging in to is the variety of courses available. The courses are broken up by subject and grade level to make it easier to find what you are looking for.
WHAT CLASSES ARE AVAILABLE?
HOW MUCH DOES A MEMBERSHIP COST?
In addition to the daily, weekly, or monthly lesson plans offered, members of SchoolhouseTeachers also receive many extras — Digital back issues of The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine, all 5 of the popular Schoolhouse Planners, recordings of the Schoolhouse Expos, free monthly eBooks and TOS supplements, and membership to Applecore, an online homeschool tracking software, among them.